Monday, January 10, 2011

Guns in America and the crazy people who do harm with them

I want to comment on, and give my 'two cents worth' on the recent tragic shooting in Arizona that wounded a U.S. congresswoman, and wounded or killed many others. I grew up around firearms, and learned to safely shoot and handle a firearm. I shot a .22 rifle in Boy Scouts, and in hunter safety training through the Department of Natural Resources in my state. I also shot tin cans and paper targets with a .22 revolver that belonged to my parents. I shot a 20 gauge shotgun at clay pigeons, and a 12 gauge (only once), while hunting with my uncle for ducks. Because of this, I respect firearms and am comfortable around them. I do not fear guns - only the person holding one. At one time in America when a large percentage of Americans lived in rural communities, a gun was just another tool like a shovel or a saw. I feel safer in my home because I have a powerful rifle for home defense and protection. I know there are no guarantees in life, but I like knowing I can protect my home and family. By Gods grace, I pray I'll never have to use my rifle to shoot someone in self defense. My sons and I also have experience in karate, but in the same way, I do not want to have to use my karate skills against someone else. When I see signs on public buildings saying 'guns banned on these premises', it doesn't make me feel safer - I would rather know that there are people in that building who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm. Crazy killers with guns don't care a whit about signs banning guns or any laws that prohibit them. God bless the victims and brave bystanders of this tragedy, and may justice be served on the criminal(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment